While most people will be genuine buyers and sellers , it always pays to play it safe and be ‘online’ smart. We’re committed to keeping Maketi a clean site and have the latest software and security measures behind the scenes to ensure this. At the same time we want all our users to take some precautions for buying and selling from online classifieds.
Here’s some safety tips for dealing online.
- Protect your Account Details & Identity. Never share personal or private information such as your date of birth and never share your Maketi logon details or password with anyone. We will never ask you for your account details so don’t ever give them out via email or phone.
- Exchange goods/money in person, face to face. Maketi has been designed for exchanging goods face to face and we strongly recommend that you hand your money over at the same time as you pick up the goods. Always have someone with you, tell a friend or family member when you are meeting strangers and if you are uneasy about a transaction organize to meet in a public place.
- Don’t accept online money transfers. Unfortunately payment confirmation by email can be faked so unless the dollars are in your hands, its not a good idea to send your goods.
- Be aware of SCAMS. If its too good to be true then it probably is. Use common sense and if you’re in doubt get a friend’s or family member’s opinion. A good rule is if you’re unsure, then don’t do the deal.
- Don’t accept part payments. Save yourself the headache and make it a rule not to trust buyers who want to put a deposit down but want to take the item away. Full payment every time.
- Ask questions and inspect goods if you are a buyer. Don’t hand money over until you’ve had a good look at the goods and checked that all is in order. If its not in the condition you were expecting, its best not to go through with the deal to avoid disappointment.
- Don’t transfer or wire money. Sellers requesting to wire or transfer a deposit are not to be trusted and if it turns out to be a scam, you are unlikely to get your money back.
- Never request for the item to be shipped. If it never arrives, you are unlikely to get your money back.
- Keep trades local. Maketi classifieds is designed for local, face to face transactions. Don’t deal with international buyers or sellers.
- Report suspicious or abusive behaviour. Having a great safe site is important to us. If you see anything suspicious or abusive please report it us.
861 total views, 1 today